Stéphane Draï was the first French lawyer admitted to the US Supreme Court in 2006. He practices at his law firm located in Lyon, Paris and New York, three cities in which he is qualified to practice.
He is married, has two children and is the brother of Pascale Drai-Attal.
Born in Bron on November 14, 1967, Stéphane Draï completed his secondary education at the Lycée des Maristes. He then completed his law studies at the University Jean Moulin Lyon 3. In 1995, following the advice of fellow lawyers, he left to pursue his studies in the United States thanks to a grant from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He enrolled at Georgetown University in Washington and specialised in banking law at Harvard. In 1996, after passing an exam, he was admitted to the New York bar. He then returned to Lyon and established a firm specialising in international business law. In January 2006, he set up another firm in Paris, which later became his main location, and founded a new branch in the United States, in New York. Consequently, he travels between the two continents, devoting about three to four days per month to his practice in the Big Apple, where he enjoys the help of a partner. Half of his clients are French residents.
In 2006, he received an invitation from Georgetown University to apply to the US Supreme Court. In January, at the age of 38, he officially became the first French lawyer to be admitted. Stéphane demonstrated to the Court that there was no incompatibility between his French nationality and his presence within their institution. The judges agreed and granted their final approval. Stéphane Draï was then sworn in before the highest American legal institution on June 19, 2006.
Areas of practice
Stéphane Draï’s law firm specialises in banking law, stock exchange and credit law, competition and distribution law, tax law, real estate law, computer law, criminal business law, intellectual property law, company law and labour law. He also advises on tax optimisation and the creation of offshore companies.
His clients are individuals, but also French SMEs and SMIs, as well as companies that are established abroad (United States and Great Britain).
– Avocat Magazine, Sept./Oct. 2008 : “Avocat aux Etats-Unis”.
– Lyon Matin / Le Progrès, 26 June 2006: “Un Lyonnais avocat à la Cour Suprême des Etats-Unis”.
– Le Tout Lyon, Vie Juridique, July 22/28, 2006: “Stéphane Draï, un avocat lyonnais à la Cour Suprême des Etats-Unis!”.app
Notes and references
- http://www.avocat-international.com/Drai_diploma.html, Official certificate of admission to the Supreme Court of the United States
- http://france.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/paris-attorneys.pdf, List of lawyers in Paris by the US Embassy
- http://www.law.georgetown.edu/alumni/publications/2006/fall/documents/departments.pdf, Georgetown University Alumni Magazine (Winter 2006, p.58).
- http://www.juriforum.fr/pdf/PAV005000.pdf, Avocat Magazine – Sept/Oct 2008 (pp.58 sqq.)
- http://www.avocat-international.com/Drai_Supreme-Court.html, Photo of the applicant before the US Supreme Court
Contacter le cabinet Draï
Vous êtes confronté(e) à une affaire relevant du droit bancaire et souhaitez être assisté(e) par un avocat spécialisé ?
Merci de remplir le formulaire de contact ci-dessous et notre cabinet vous contactera rapidement.